Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The 2's-- here we come!!


It's hard to believe that Grace will be two in a couple more months.... but her behavior is a daily reminder that it's right around the corner!!! She is becoming quite the personality-- the good and the bad. She's VERY independent and I now have "that child" that screams bloody murder in public-- like when I'm being so mean and not letting her walk through the parking lot all by herself, and she refuses to hold my hand. I know, soooo mean of me!! Her new favorite word is "mine"! Yikes. That one snuck up on me. And you should see the attitude she gives when she's in her no-no spot. Our rule is that you have to say sorry to get out of the no no spot. There's times where she refuses to say sorry and she puts herself back in her no no spot!!!!! But..... the fun spunk that's coming out, the more talking and singing she is doing, the more pretend play-- from making LOTS of food for everyone in the family to singing goodnight and rocking her baby dolls..... it's worth dealing with and embracing all of the "naughtiness" because the good is just way too GREAT!!!

I will share my thoughts on what I see as a prejudice between boys and girls. Having a boy who's ALL BOY, I've definitely had my fair share of subtle and NOT so subtle looks and comments about Jake (especially in the 2-4 stage). But, what I'm now noticing is that Grace is starting to show some of those same and typical 2 year old behaviors. The thing is, when a little boy does it, he seems to be described with negative terms-- naughty, aggressive, difficult, etc. and little girls have more positive terms used for the same behaviors- sassy, spunky, free spirited, saucy, independent, etc. Hmmmmm...... things I think about these days.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Oh yes - we must get these two girls together -- they're so alike they'll either be best of friends or the sparks will FLY! Either way, could be fun to watch! =)

Michael and Michelle said...

I am in love with Grace!!! That is a great picture!! The two's are so fun......and hard....but mostly fun:) I have a feeling that our ethiopian princess will have a little "spice" in her. She already throws herself down when we don't give her what she wants. BUT she's so little and cute when she does it, it makes us laugh.
Michelle

Laurzie said...

Could she be cuter?! Grace, I like your style! And, as for the boy/girl prejudice, yes, you're totally right that our society frowns on boys being boys, but applauds even the same behaviors in girls... Irritating! Jacob is all BOY! Don't let anyone get to you. xxoo

Teabo Chica said...

SO awesome to see her in her pink converse, she is so going on two I can see it!! Loving the word ''mine'' over in my house as well, can wait to get them in the same room!

Kristi J said...

she's so stinkin cute!! When's her b-day?? My George will be 2 on April 12th and he's a wild man out in public...we still eat out all the time, but man, he's a screamer :) I can't wait to get our new girly...thanks for your comment last week...we're all in love, kristi

The Gresham Clan said...

She is so stinkin' adorable! I'm not looking forward to the 2s w/ Abraham - he's already pulling much of that at 16 months - aahhh - what to do with these beautiful, creative and strong-willed children of ours :)!

JonesEthiopia said...

Great picture of Grace.

The agency made their decision about our adopting an older child. They haven't told us no, but they want us to talk with our social worker and do some more training/research before they would say yes. Our contract is going to be for an infant girl and go from there. I'll keep you updated as what they decide for us may have some influence on what they would decide for you.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online